Tuesday 23 July 2013

The one with all the New York cheesecakes...


 'It was cheesecake. It was fine. It had a buttery, crumbly, graham cracker crust, with a very rich yet light, cream cheese filling… Wow! My whole mouth just filled with saliva.' Rachel Green!

Today I am posting about our love (my husband and I) for the New York Cheesecake! Our love for the NY Cheesecake began while watching Friends repeats. We are avid fans and no matter how many times we watch it we always laugh! Anyway, remember the scene above where Rachel and Chandler are eating a cheesecake off the floor? Didn't they make it look so tasty? Didn't you want some of it? We did!

We weren't really cheesecake fans but we set out to try an authentic New York Cheesecake during our trip to the Big Apple in 2009. We wanted to see what the fuss was about between Rachel and Chandler from friends! Lol. I know so sad...but it was sooooo good, we both fell in love with the cake.

Of course back in the land of Oz trying to find a NY cheesecake that actually tasted like a NY cheesecake was impossible!

So I tried a few recipes then combined and altered them all and until I got this one!
Enjoy! 

Oh I even did a “Chandler and Rachel” and accidentally dropped the Cheesecake that you see in the photos. Somehow it didn't touch the ground but it did end up lop sided! So I was actually not going to blog about it as it was hard to get good photos, but my husband insisted I post about it.

Remember Chandlers line, "I’m full, and yet I know if I stop eating this, I’ll regret it." Well that is my husband’s feelings towards this cheesecake! lol

My New York Cheesecake Recipe
Ingredients
Crust
145gm plain arrowroot biscuits
¼ cup of coconut
100gm unsalted butter melted
Filling
2 packets x 250 gm cream cheese
1 1/4 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon butter
3-4 tablespoons tapioca flour
400 ml sour cream
5 eggs
Topping
1 cup of sour cream
2 tablespoons or (to your liking) of white sugar
Preparation
  • Pre-heat oven to 150c
  • Spray a cheesecake tin with baking spray. Then cut some baking paper for edges and base of cheesecake tin, making sure that the baking paper around the edges is at least 1.5 cm higher than the rim, so when the cake rises it won’t spill over the sides.
  • Boil kettle of water.
  • Put biscuits in a food processor and blend until finely ground. Add the butter and coconut and mix until well combined. Spoon mixture into the tin, patting until crust is evenly flat. Refrigerate.

  • Wrap aluminium foil around the cake tin, so no water will get in the tin.

  • In a bowl of an electric mixer beat the cream cheese with the butter for a few minutes. With the mixer on medium speed gradually add the sugar and tapioca flour until well blended. Add sour cream and mix well.
  • Reduce mixer to low speed setting and add one egg at time, until each one is just combined.
  • Pour the filling over the prepared base.
  • Place the tin wrapped in aluminium foil in a large tray with boiled water. The water should reach halfway on the sides of the cake tin
(The aluminium foil is to prevent surface cracking, although when using flour or cornstarch it shouldn’t crack, but I always cook cheesecake like this just in case!)
  • Cook for 1 ½ hours.
  • Cool with oven door ajar. (Another tip to prevent surface cracking.)
  • For the topping, mix sour cream and sugar and spread evenly on cake while still slightly warm.
  • Cool completely while in baking tin.
  • Refrigerate overnight. 

Trying to straighten the fallen ones!


Chandler Bing - "I can't seem to say goodbye."

Blessings Friends
Anita X

3 comments:

  1. I so love cheesecake, this looks so good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that looks delicious! I love cheesecake, though I usually have to top it with strawberries or blueberries to cut the richness. My BF and I recently had a big chunk of chocolate-covered cheesecake on a stick at the county fair and now I'm craving that again!

    Found you through BloggyMoms, following you through bloglovin and Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so good. I love cheesecake. I was just thinking about the cheesecake my use to make the other day. Started following with GFC.
    Angela @ Time with A & N

    ReplyDelete